Friday, March 23, 2007

Furry Friends

I'm saddened by the loss of pet animals, and the almost absolute certainty that more will be lost. I'm very disturbed by the fact that the pet food that is killing animals appears to have had rat poison in it. I'd like to make my animals' own pet food, but I don't always have the time or energy to make home-cooked meals from scratch for my own human family. Still, does anyone know a good recipe for home-made cat food?

In memory of my dear Hobbes, who we euthanized at age 7 due to kidney failure, seven years ago.

2 comments:

Susan B. said...

Hobbes was a cutie. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much it hurts -- I still miss Coco terribly even though she's been gone for over two years now.

My Grandma used to make dog food for her dogs. She would buy some sort of cheap dry dog food, buy turkey necks and boil them until they were falling apart and them mix them with some of the dry dog food. She would put the mixture in a big Tupperware bowl and keep it in the refrigerator. I don't know if cats would like a similar mixture or not. I know my cat wouldn't eat it because he only likes fishy cat food.

Fortunately, I don't buy the brands that were affected by the poisoning. In fact, I didn't even get canned food last week because my pets eat mostly dry food and if I feed them canned food too often, they get spoiled and won't eat the dry food. Also, my cat mostly just licks the juice from the canned food, while my dog sometimes gets an upset stomach from it.

jau said...

I had a wonderful cat, too - Kitty. She didn't like dry or canned cat food so I ended up feeding her "people" food. There's actually a fair amount written about feeding cats just what we eat, only not spicy or processed food, of course. Kitty loved chicken hot dogs, lettuce, tuna fish (no surprise) and a bunch of other things. One cat I knew liked broccoli!! It takes more work but not as much as actually making cat food as such. It's worth considering, anyway.