Saturday, March 03, 2007

Evil Genius Rocks on Ice

Today I finally got to go ice skating again, which I haven't been able to do in a while. We went to Winterhurst Ice Skating Rink in Lakewood, OH. Winterhust has the neat feature of being two side-by-side rinks. The ends can be raised to make one giant rink, which they usually do for open skates. That's the way it was set up during today's open skate. My daughters skated with me; DH watched and photographed. I love the feel of gliding over the ice (quickly or slowly), the sound of the blades scraping the ice, the cold air going down my throat like a cold drink. The girls re-adjusted quickly to ice skating (they've been a few times before) and I got to practice my Mad Skating Skillz. I took lessons for a while as a young adult, and I love recreational ice skating. It's great exercise, too!






Just for fun, I'm including this picture that was up on a wall at the rink, showing Timothy Goebel executing a quadruple salchow jump. Goebel trained at Winterhurst Ice Skating Rink for a time during his skating career.

7 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

What? I thought that was you doing the quadruple salchow!! You look great out there. I've always wanted to try ice skating. I'm not hugely adventurous, but I would like to try ice skating before I die.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

PS: Why are you Barb the Evil Genius?

Anonymous said...

Daughters! Ha ha! you will suffer the dangnation of the, uh, danged. Yes! I predict it!

(having two who are 20 and 16, you best be mindin my curse here now)..

BWA HA HA HAQAQAA

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Barb, I used to live in Findlay, OH, and am distressed to hear of the Bluffton baseball team accident. So sad!

Valerie said...

my hat's off to you.
can't skate.
can't even roller skate.
AND i live near the beach in So. Cal. and i don't surf.
what's up with that?! :o)
p.s. - found you on the Blog Party and i LOVE YOUR BLOG TITLE!!!

skatey katie said...

blast.
i just posted you a l-o-n-g congratulatory comment.
and something *ate* it.
ok: where was i???
you look just like one of those olympic skaters.. you *do* !!!!!!!
and you and i are doing so *well* on our exercising. and i am waiting until tonight to do my pilates, cos my muscles are really creaky from yesterday's TRI-efforts.
happy day chick !!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your eldest was very excited to tell me about the skating. She had a blast too. So glad you all got to enjoy the ice.
Marie N.