Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Potluck Post

So, first of all, what to look for in a basic sewing machine: forward and backwards straight stitch and zig-zag stitch. Buttonholes are also useful, but most machines that zig-zag can also do buttonholes. Pfaff, Bernina and Viking are the top brands. Singer is not as good as they used to be.

If you are tall and thin, Vogue patterns are good. If you are more "full-figured" Burda patterns are nice. Sometimes the "Big Four" patterns, Simplicity, Vogue, Butterick and McCall's, will have a pattern for what is called a "fitting shell." This is a very close-fitting garment that is meant only for you to work on your fit. It has no "ease," or extra room so you can sit down, etc. in the garment. It is just a way to see how the company's patterns fit you. Ease is included in all other patterns. I would probably try a simple pull-on skirt before a fitted skirt or blouse.

Speaking of sewing, I just bought a quilting book from Japan. This ebay seller sells a lot of sewing and beading books from Japan that have some very neat projects in them, although I find the gothic Lolita stuff kinda disturbing. Anyway, I found this picture from the book to be an interesting juxtaposition of Japanese and Americana styles.

In some ways politically, I lean libertarian. I'm definitely for smaller government and more control of things at the local level. I just wonder why on earth the libertarians cannot get anyone better to represent them than Ron Paul. The man comes off as a total fruit basket. Rudy Guiliani pwned him last night

5 comments:

Scott said...

Ron Paul is a Republican. That's why he was with that freedom hating anti-gun abortion loving knuckle head.....

Barb the Evil Genius said...

He's being touted as a libertarian running as a Republican.

skatey katie said...

no idea about republicans/libertarians, but hey, barb: you really know your sewing patterns. i sewed alot with burda throughout my teen years. my auntie is a seamstress and has a burda subscription, so the patterns were free to me!! i confess that i tend not to sew with patterns. but then, i tend not to make clothes either.....
that was pretty much a pointless comment, but *how are you??*
i'm thinking of you X

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Kate, I love burda patterns! I'm doing a lot better; thank you so much!

jau said...

Thanks for the sewing machine info. I'm getting ready to take the plunge so your guidance is very helpful! I can't wait.