Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is almost a surreal holiday for me. I appreciate the sacrifices so many brave men and women have made to keep this country free, and I know the sacrifices were great. However, although I have had relatives who served our country in the armed forces, I know of no relative who served our country in a time of war. I have nothing to make this holiday "personal" for me. In addition, like Laura Lee Donoho, who has the association of Memorial Day with losing her first dog, I have, for as long as I can remember, associated Memorial Day with my sister's birthday celebrations. Her birthday is always close to Memorial Day, if not on it, and a three-day weekend was always perfect to celebrate, especially as we grew up and moved apart. As I'm taking a "mental health break" from my family, no celebration with family this year.

Redstate has a nice roundup of Memorial Day posts.

No comments: