Wednesday, May 02, 2007

If Pictures Could Talk


Isn't the look on this girl's face delightful? She looks lively, intelligent, happy, like someone it would be fun to have a conservation with. I wonder who she was, and why her descendants did not keep her picture. It amazes me how so many old pictures end up for sale to the public. This picture is part of my collection of old pictures, that I have purchased.

I also have some copies of old pictures of my ancestors, that I wouldn't get rid of for anything. I need to make sure my daughters will know who is in all the old pictures! We have it so much easier today. I can scan pictures into the computer off of our digital camera in seconds, with the date attached automatically, and adding a description is as easy as typing it into our online photo album. We can also make back-ups on CDs if we want, for extra security.

By the way, I date the picture of this girl to around 1908. :)

5 comments:

Consecutive Odds said...

Two of my favorite pictures are the 8x10s I have from my grandparents wedding.

I wonder if the lady in your picture is wearing a watch or a locket?

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I think it's a locket, judging by the flatness of it, and the time period I judge the picture to be taken.

Jane said...

I think we have a lot in common, Barb. :) I am the repository for all of our old family photos and I am slowly getting them all scanned in.

I also buy old photos at flea markets because I like them. I love looking at the photos and trying to figure out when and where they were taken based on the styles of clothing and hair. And I tend to make up names and stories for the people I don't know.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Jane, I have to admit I'm not creative in making up names and stories for my old photos, although they each seem to "say" something to me.

Susan B. said...

Hi Barb,

That's really neat. My family has a few old pictures, mainly from my Dad's side of the family. (My Mom grew up very poor and lived out in the countryside. We have exactly one picture of her from her childhood.) I need to scan those pictures in so that we don't lose them.