Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Sewing Update

First of all, does anyone else have a hard time fitting everything they want to accomplish into a day? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here. Just needed to get that out there.

I have accomplished some sewing! I am in the process of creating a nice tablecloth and matching cloth napkins for our dining table. That part's relatively easy: cut out fabric to appropriate sizes and hem. However, as part of my quest to develop embroidery skills, I am embroidering our family initial onto said napkins. Here's what I've done so far.

It's the first thing I've ever really embroidered, besides some practice stitches. I'm not completely happy with it, but I'm forcing myself to finish it before I move on to the next napkin, which hopefully will go more smoothly.

I worked on it some tonight while at a Panera Bread restaurant with my husband and kids, and about fifty local geocachers from the NeoGeo caching group. Geocaching, for those not familiar with the term, is using multi-million dollar satellite technology to find Tupperware in the woods. :) For further info, please read here. Anyway, it was nice to have something to partially occupy my mind (that usually runs a mile a minute) while sitting chatting with a bunch of strangers (to me), although my husband knew some people there. He and our daughters attended an event a couple of years ago to celebrate another kid's 1,000 cache find! I haven't gone caching with my family much, but I should go more. They'd like it, and it's good exercise. I've just never been much of an outdoor person. Actually, I think our kids would like to go caching more in general. I think the death of our friend who was a serious geocacher made it hard for my husband to go caching for a while.

I'll show you more embroidery as I go on, and I really do need to get some clothes sewn up. I have a new sewing room and some stuff has gotten lost in the shuffle, including a pattern or two I needed... frustrating! In the meantime, I am helping a friend with *her* sewing tomorrow. Should be fun!

3 comments:

skatey katie said...

wow you have talent and p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e barb, that embroidery is exquisite X

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

I think your embroidery looks spectacular!