Thursday, July 05, 2007

Bear With Me Here

I know a lot of you aren't baseball fans, but I know some of you are, and in a way this post is generally relevant. In particular, it's about the Cleveland Indians and how, or why, they're not pulling the fans in, as discussed in this article. In general, though, it's about the family, the limits on the family budget, and what the family does with the budget. Now, our family, except for DH, has already been to an Indians game, for a Weather Education Day and a game. We're also all going to a game later this month; my DH's department at work is having a day out there. However, one of the reasons we're attending both of these games is that we got/are getting good prices on tickets. Yes, I love going to Indians games, and our family is blessed enough to be able to afford things like going to major league baseball games. However, there are other things that we like to spend our money on. As a roller coaster fanatic, a summer is not complete without at least one trip to Cedar Point, when possible. There's been a couple of movies DH wanted to see with the girls this summer. In other words, there's a lot of competition for our family entertainment dollar, and although I have found some of the Indians promotions interesting, it doesn't create extra money in the budget.

For you Clevelanders, one other discussion question. I've heard that the Cleveland economy is bad, that big companies and good jobs and people have been leaving the city, but I haven't seen it personally. Yeah, our family went through a hard time in 2002, but lots of people in lots of areas of the country did then. How are things doing now? I guess I love Cleveland, and I see it as a great place to live. I'll admit the tax situation for the city and Cuyahoga County could be better, though. Too bad someone likely to lower taxes doesn't have a chance in heck of being elected.

2 comments:

Scottius Maximus said...

Barb!

Do you think the attendance thing has to do with the "my heart's been crushed too many times in the past so I don't want to invest time and cash in following this team until I see something big happening" syndrome?

It's still 'early', too. It's not even the All-Star Break, and people, especially families, are taking vacations this time of year. I'll bet the tickets will be smokin' hot in August and September barring some unforseen circumstance.

Don't lament this. It actually works better for real fans this way in that you can get better seats. I still haven't been to Busch Stadium since it opened (other than walking around outside) because tickets are sold out. We hope we can go some time this year.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I'll admit that last year broke our hearts, when the Indians folded right at the end of the season. In a way, I'm glad for the chance to get seats, although we can't afford to go as often as I'd like. The downside is the owners need to see interest in the team. Although I think the ball's in their court at the moment. We'll see what they do over the All-Star Break, if anything.