Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Non-Sewing Sewing Day

I finally got over to my friend's house to help her work on making some new dresses for herself, based on a dress that she loves, but which has seen better days. Before and after having a great ladies-only lunch with another friend, the old dress was ripped apart, fabric for three dresses was purchased, paper pattern pieces with notations were created, detailed sewing instructions were written out, and the Presbytera got a quick lesson on how to make a French seam. Not much actual sewing done but a lot of progress towards what will (hopefully!) be some lovely dresses. I better work, work, work on my own sewing! Can't let my alter ego get ahead of me. I'll just assign all the housework to my daughters. :)

And Kate, we saw this poster at lunch and it made the three of us think of you, our NZ girlfriend. :) I took the picture, Presbytera held the lamp above the table back so I could get a clear shot.

4 comments:

Susan B. said...

Hi Barb,

Since I'm completely clueless when it comes to sewing (I can hardly even thread a needle) I have a sort of hypothetical question. I hope it's not a dumb question.

Would it be possible for someone to look at pictures of a dress from different angles and create a pattern for the dress and recreate it without actually having the original dress itself available?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Not a dumb question at all. And entirely possible. For example, lots of costumers have created Web pages full of costumes from different movies, with pictures scoured from everywhere possible and every angle they could find. After that, it's easiest to find a pattern similar to what you're interested in, or put elements from a couple of patterns together. A dress pattern *can* be created from scratch by someone with the training to do so. Hope this helps. :)

Susan B. said...

It does...thank you, Barb! :-)

skatey katie said...

we saw this poster at lunch and it made the three of us think of you, our NZ girlfriend

great shot barb!!!!!!!!
glad that kiwis are famous all over the world lol X