Saturday, July 01, 2006

Dollies

Just thought I'd share a picture of my big activity for the day. The Scientist is at a sleepover birthday party tonight and her friend has two American Girl dolls, just as the Scientist does. So I made her friend two identical outfits for her dolls. One of the Scientist's dolls is the model in this picture; I wanted to have a picture of the outfit to keep for myself.



One of the nice things about my husband working in Chicago for six months a while back was getting to visit him and do things in the area. And one of the things my daughters loved to do was go to American Girl Place. The Scientist had a Girl of Today at the time and has since received Samantha also; Wildchild loves her Bitty Baby and all her Bitty Friends. Since my husband was in Chicago for six months, we were able to visit the American Girl Place several times and do a different thing each time, thus breaking up the time involved (and the cost!) Here are the three of us at lunch in the American Girl Cafe. You can see that the dolls are at the table with us, and each doll gets her own little place setting. We had a lot of fun experiences there, and it was nice to see all the little girls walking around doll in tow. My husband was fortunately not debilitatingly overwhelmed by all the estrogen. :)



Of course, I must add that this was before all the problems with AG supporting an inappropriate outside group were really aired. I'm not sure what the current attitude is toward AG, although I know their involvement with said group has ended. Fortunately, our beloved dollies do not need to lack for clothes (see above) and there are lots of "cottage industries" supplying other things for them too. Why do companies have to involve toys with political agendas?

6 comments:

Marie N. said...

We were very sad to learn about AGs support for 'said group.' I expkained to my daughter why we would not be buying more of their toys/accessories. Thanks to eBay, other suppliers, my learning to knit, and a grandpa who refules to take "Please don't buy these any more, it sends a confusing message to our daughter" at face value we have a good size doll wardrobe over here.

They may have ended financial gifts to that group, but what can they do about all the agenda promoting that they have written into the texts of their books for pre-teens and early teens?

Marie N. said...

When I first read about their luncheons in their dining room I thought it was the perfect little girl activity. You all look like you are having a blast!

KrazyinBrooklyn said...

Please refresh my memory about this AG thing

Barb the Evil Genius said...

AG thing

KrazyinBrooklyn said...

check out my first blog!

skatey katie said...

oh dahling
you are so clever with your dolls clothes.. what a cute outfit :o)