Thursday, July 27, 2006

Life Is Not Fair

That's the summary I came to in my mind after hearing a radio advertisement that totally set me off. The same idiot who ate 5,000 worth of calories every day for thirty days at a fast-food restaurant just to prove that - eating 5,000 calories a day will make you fat, duh! has a television show featuring publicity stunts to prove his other preconceived ideas. One show will feature a man who was cut from his job because the work went overseas, and his soundbyte featured in the advertisement made me yell at the radio - "The American dream was taken away from me." So, what is the American dream? That you'll get some basic job, work there for great wages and health benefits for the rest of your life, retire early at 62 and live happily ever after forever, Amen? Sorry, we're living in the wrong universe for that. Let me direct you back to the title of my post. Life? Totally not fair. You can give up on your dreams if things go wrong, which they will. Unless your dream is unrealistic, you can always keep working towards your dream. Maybe you'll achieve it. Maybe not. See that not fair thing above. It's the American dream, not the American guarantee. For that matter (for my non-U.S. readers :) ) it's not even just the American dream anymore. In any country where there is economic freedom, a person can work towards success.

Is it great that manufacturing jobs are going overseas? Not necessarily. I've read articles by lots of economists with good points but different opinions, and I don't know the big picture of world economy well enough to posit my own opinion. Whatever the reason, however, people lose jobs. It's a sad fact of life, but no one owes us employment, or a "living wage," or anything else. I'll never forget a woman complaining on a radio call-in show a month or so back that she makes so much better money driving a truck in Florida than in Ohio, and why can't Ohio do something about it, as she lives in Ohio three or four months out of the year. To the reasonable query of why she doesn't just live in Florida full time: "It's too hot down there in the summer." The radio host let this pass. I wouldn't have. Why should the state or anyone else improve your life for you? If you can't take the heat, stay out of the whinefest!

Do I rant when things are difficult, or maybe even ... unfair? Heck yeah. But I know it's up to my husband and I to work through hard times, even if we didn't cause them. Sometimes I falter and break down and want to give up, but for things to get better, eventually I have to pull myself back. Even if people help me to get up, I still have to get back up to change things. People, not a government plan, mind you. We can and should help each other, but we can't do it for each other.

I want to start carrying around a big bag full of pacifiers. Everytime somebody starts whining about how the government should do this or that, I'll just hand them a pacifier. Think it'll work? Nah, you're right. It'd take a miracle. ;)

11 comments:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

It really becomes not fair when someone's idea of fair is given to them at my expense. :)

You've been tagged, btw.

Emily said...

I havent read your post yet but I was just asking Josh if anyone commented on my blog yet and I was saying "Thats not very fair" just to make noise and then I clicked your link on my blog and saw your title and had to laugh

skatey katie said...

awwwwwww barb
now i've got images of you moonlighting as vin diesel in my head.
(how on earth do ya hyperlink in the comments box? the normal keyd don't work..)

this will have to do.. there you are:
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/liveaction/pacifier/home.html

I'm never gonna be able to remember your names because there's not enough time so you're Red One, you're Red Two, you're Red Three, and you're Red Baby.
could be useful around here. red one, two, three, four, five...

skatey katie said...

PS thanks so much for the comments and etc at R13s blog.. she is in heaven :o)

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Big snaps! (totally agree with you) - The Eagles have a song, "Get Over It." I love the line - "I wanna find your inner child and kick it's little a$$."

Too much whining going on. Too many people with a victim mentality. My parents told me a long told ago that life isn't fair and the sooner I figure that out the "happier" I will be.

KrazyinBrooklyn said...

My oldest daughter always says "It not fair" when something don't go her way and my reply is " Life's not fair so, get use to it."

Rick said...

Wow! Excellent post, Barb.

I stopped listening to rock & roll in the 1990s for two reasons: 1) The pop guys started sounding like wimps, and 2) Grunge hit the scene, and it's really just screaming guys sounding like wimps.

DMG - "Get Over It" by the Eagles is the perfect tune.

Krazy - my response is similar to yours - "Suck it up!"

skatey katie said...

:o) BARB !!!!!!!
you already know this about yourself, but now a lil new zealand chick KNOWS that YOU, my friend, are the ULTIMATE EVIL GENIUS..

*kate bows in barb's direction*

thanks a million for the techno-info ..

and happy weekend. it's now friday night here and hubby and i have opened a bottle of aussie red and we're gonna feed the kiddos pizza first and send them off to bed with a book (muhaha) and have some mussels in chili-cream-tomato...
oooooh yummy!!!

Marie N. said...

A most excellent post! I hearn that whiney female on the radio too that day (ladies don't whine). I didn't get an answer, because the talk shop host didn't hear me when I told him to ask her how much more it cost her to live in FL compared to OH.
I think I mentioned something to my kids about this woman whining about limits she placed on herself.

DMG, my parents told me the EXACT same thing!

My Dear Quipper, perhaps we should occasionally expand the soundbite a bit!

Rick said...

Marie (a.k.a. Mrs. Quipper), I'm sorry, but I couldn't focus on your comment. Someone mentioned mussels, and I got lost. :-)

Quipper (seafood delicassy freak)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.