Monday, July 10, 2006

Only a Man in a Funny Red Sheet

On a bulletin board I read, several members were discussing the new Superman movie, and it also became apparent to me that they idolized Christopher Reeve, and I mean that almost literally. For example, check out this cartoon published upon his death. Yes, I have seen editorial cartoons before that showed the deceased going to a "heaven," and sometimes showing a role that person played in a movie. But in this case, thoughts that people viewed Reeve as having some sorts of "powers" are reinforced by this editorial cartoon upon the death of his wife, Dana. One of the bulletin board readers has saved it on her website and commented on how touching it was. To me, it is a case of man once again looking to the created instead of the Creator. When I die, I know the only thing I can trust to save me is Jesus' death and resurrection, His redemption for me. No matter what a person achieves in this lifetime, we are all still only people. Only Jesus could tell a paralyzed man to get up and walk, and only Jesus can offer us life and salvation. And so unlike the man in this cartoon, I know where hope can be found, and it is not in a movie, or in an actor or any other human. Thanks be to God that He loves us, and is able to do everything for us.

6 comments:

KrazyinBrooklyn said...

You are so right.

Rick said...

My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness

I dare not trust the sweetest frame
but wholly lean on Jesus' name

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand
all other ground is sinking sand.

My Hope is Built on Nothing Less
Hymn 370, TLH

Marie N. said...

excellent post, Barb

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Anonymous said...

T.P. says: When He shall come with trumpet sound, O may I then in Him be found, clothed in His righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne. On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.

Lutheran Lucy said...

You make an excellent point Barb! There are too many idols in our society! And to be honest, I know that I have to ask Christ for help when I "slip" and start idolizing someone myself! Thanks be to God that He forgives me when I do this!