Thursday, October 19, 2006

Out of the Past

The Chaplain wrote about his engagement anniversary yesterday; today is the anniversary of my husband's and my engagement. This picture, however, is from exactly one week before, at my sister-in-law's wedding. We held off getting "offically" engaged until after this wedding, so as not to take attention away from my sister-in-law and her husband. This, however, did not keep lots of guests at the wedding from speculating about when our own marriage would be. I was even welcomed to the family by Gino's step-aunt's ex-husband's nephew.

On Oct. 19, 1991, I went to the homecoming dance at my former college, where my husband was a senior (I robbed the cradle.) I was wearing the same green dress and shoes as in the picture above (so I re-used a bridesmaid dress!) We had a yummy dinner, and when he presented me with my corsage, there was a diamond ring on one of the flowers. And here we are fifteen years later, still happy to be together. Tonight my husband gave me a red rose, and we had a dinner very similar to the candlelit meal we had in my husband's dorm room fifteen years ago, right down to the fudge cake from Entenmann's. How sweet!

8 comments:

Gino A Melone said...

If you're going to tell the story, you need to include it all.

First of all, my minions (Matt and Eric) were late getting there with dinner.

So, Barb insisted on seeing the corsage early. Well, apparently I didn't close the box completely.

While I'm digging under the fridge... Barb: "What are you looking for?" Me: "You don't want to know."

Well, she married me anyway. Silly fool. :)

Presbytera said...

I love these memories and now the oral history has become part of an electronic history. What a blessing you are to each other!

Marie N. said...

Congratulations! Great memories :-)

~Kathy~ said...

You both look great!

Kathy (from ML)

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Congrats on your anniversary!

You wore a bridesmaid dress for a second time?!?!? I bow at your feet!!! That is truly amazing!!! :-)

Susan B. said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! :-)

skatey katie said...

woot woot
love the story (both versions lol)
happy happies xx

Lutheran Lucy said...

Ah, what a cute couple!! Isn't a blessing to still be "in love"? :)