Thursday, October 26, 2006

If You Could Change the World

I hate politics. I hate all the posturing and finger-pointing and scheming that takes place, especially right before an election, which is where we are now. But what my government does, and even what other governments do, affect my family and me. Thus, I have to find things out, and think about long-term results and repercussions. Of course, voting is involved. Bringing up my children to be intelligent, strong, and able to learn and reason things out on their own, is also important. But lately I've been wondering if there's more. I've never wanted to try to change the world, but I don't want it to change underneath me, either. My home and my family and my own little activities are the main responsibilities in my life, but there are things that affect that already, like all the taxes for waste and needless activities. Sometimes I'd like to try to do something different, something more (but not something illegal!) I'm impatient to see some of these things come to an end.

6 comments:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. :)

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Now that's thinking long term, Dan! Like, eternal long term!

~Kathy~ said...

Oh, I know, I can't stand election years. Can't stand politics, but election years are the worst! I shudder to think of how I was as a young college student. It is a far cry from where I am today!

I kind of agree with Dan. I tell hubby, sometimes I feel like moving to some holler in the mountains or something and hiding till our Lord Jesus comes. He just looks at me like I'm nuts. Oh well, maybe I am! LOL!

chaplain7904 said...

I'm always suspicious of those who want to change the world. This from the guy who wants to be the BDU (benevolent dictator of the universe).

Work your plan. Take care of your homestead. Here's what Walt Whitman wrote:

The Commonplce
by: Walt Whitman

The commonplace I sing;
How cheap is health! how cheap nobility!
Abstinence, no falsehood, no gluttony, lust;
The open air I sing, freedom, toleration,
(Take here the mainest lesson – less from books – less from the schools,)
The common day and night – the common earth and waters,
Your farm – your work, trade, occupation,
The democratic wisdom underneath, like solid ground for all.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Um, okaaaayyyyyyyyyy.

Scott said...

There are two boxes that maintain freedom: The Ballot Box, and the Ammo Box.

"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Etc. etc.