Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Goodbye, Eric

Found out today that a good friend of my husband's and myself passed away on Saturday. He was only 34 years old. I've lost many elderly relatives, of course. There have even been several younger people of my acquaintance who are no longer on this earth, mostly because of car accidents or cancer. But although Eric had been in poor health on and off for most of this year due to a kidney infection, I don't think anyone knew how bad it was except maybe Eric. None of the people who knew him seemed to imagine he could die because of the problems he'd been having. He was feeling pretty weak the last several days of his life, and I wish we could have seen him one more time. He was a really unique and great guy. His going will leave a great hole in our lives. At least he was a Christian so we have the hope of seeing him again. In this short period in time, however, things seem a little darker and colder tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many of us will miss Eric dearly. He touched more people than I could have imagined.

However, in the quiet, unassuming, anti-egotistical way that Eric did most things, he chose to spend his last days quietly and with only his parents.

In some ways this has been very hard on some of us who loved him. But, I know that Eric would not have wanted to see his friends mourning him during his last days. Thag (as some of us from college often knew him) never wanted to be the center of attention. He never wanted people to focus on him. He loved being with people. But he always stayed on the sidelines. I can remember so many times that we were involved in some group activity. Eric would always sit at the back of the crowd, or the outer edge of the circle. He loved being involved with friends. He never took center stage though.

I believe that Eric wanted to leave without a fuss or fanfare. I think he chose to retreat to his family home to pass quietly. I'm personally sorry that I didn't get to say goodbye to Eric during his final days. But, I'm certain he didn't want that. It hurts. But, its how he wanted it.