Thursday, August 03, 2006

Extreme Selfishness

I found this article and the comments following it via The Anchoress. It is terribly, horribly, soberingly sad. First of all, for the children in situations like this. And although many of the comments in reply were negative, there were enough that basically said, "We've always felt this way and were too scared to say it!" that it might be enough of a widespread problem to cause concern.

There are a lot of thoughts that come to mind quickly. One was a refrain repeated over and over in the comments: Why did this woman ever bear children? For better or worse, if you don't want children, you don't have to have them. Several commenters chose not to, and prided themselves on it over this woman who had them and neglects them. If they don't intend to even try to be half-way decent parents, one can see their point.

Several commenters also hoped that the children will treat their mother in like fashion when they reach maturity. That they will ignore her when they go out on their own, and stick her in a nursing home the minute her health becomes the slightest burden. This is all too likely to happen.

But some larger issues were not really brought up. What about these children's relationships with their spouse? With their own children? With friends and co-workers?

Attachment theory looks at how children relate to caregivers during childhood. Whether they are securely or insecurely attached to those who care for them when they are smallest and most vulnerable will affect how they view themselves and how they relate to others for their entire lifetime. It is likely that the author of this article was not close to her parents or whoever brought her up, and she is passing this on to her children. This mother feels bored or uncomfortable with every part of being a child: the enjoyment of repetition, the need for acknowledgement and praise, the simple stories and games. She probably did not have anyone to do these things with her. Certainly none of us are perfect parents, and children should not get everything they want, whenever they want it, in any case. I, for example, do not usually see movies with my children, because I don't really like movies much at all. Their father does this with them. I am better at reading the same story over and over. If I'm tired or ill, however, they might not get a story one night. But it's not a pattern. Neither of us will miss an important event in our child's life if we can avoid it. We remember our own childhood birthdays and school plays and wanting someone to be there. An insecurely-attached child, on the other hand, can sometimes patch over their hurt that no one is consistently there for them with thoughts that they don't need anybody, that they can stand on their own!

But again, there is more than the idea of mother/child or father/child interaction here. As one article puts it, "Unselfishness, giving, love, and compassion are high values, and there is nothing like being a mother to develop those virtues in a woman. Responding to a screaming baby at two in the morning requires unselfishness. Character-growth is almost inevitable." Does this mean that any person who does not have children is selfish and lacking character? Not necessarily. But how will the person not willing to put time into caring for a child react when a sick spouse needs something at two in the morning? Or an aging parent? This is what is scary for society at large. If we do not learn love and sacrifice and compassion as children by having it modeled for us and given freely to us, will we be able to give it as adults?

11 comments:

Susan B. said...

Hi Barb,

Ugh! I read that article the other day when the Anchoress linked it. The whole thing infuriated me...especially when she refers to being a mother as "menial" work. So raising another human being is "menial"? Actually, it sounds really important to me. And it doesn't seem like something that would be "boring".

As you pointed out, raising another human being leaves a legacy. The legacy can be a good one or a bad one. And the legacy will go on after you die. This woman seems to think that being a mother is a waste and that having a career is better. But seriously, who is going to remember anything you did in your career 50, 100 years from now? Chances are, all that stuff will be forgotten. But the legacy left by raising children will live on.

I realize this even though I am not a mother, because I haven't yet found the right man and gotten married. However, I was raised by a stay-at-home mother. I know the value of what my mother did. My mother lives with me because she is a widow, she doesn't drive and she's getting on in years. One thing my sister and I will never do is dump her in a nursing home and forget about her if she gets in poor health.

Sorry for the lengthy rant...I just think the woman who wrote that piece is a selfish, uh...witch. ;-)

Rick said...

The lady is an unwilling participant in the vocation of motherhood. She doesn't realize that she wields more influence - good and bad - in her own home than she does in society in general.

She's implicitly teaching her sons that men are doormats at best, and irrelevant at worst.

skatey katie said...

yes!! i echo the *becoming-a-mother/parent* thoughts.
and i feel so sad for that mommy, who probably didn't have a happy youth/positive role model during her youth.. and is just repeating history.

makes me so happy for my vocation (home ed'ing mamma). i hope i'm giving my kiddos a positive strong female role model.

i feel strongly about *girl power*. and just as strongly about *man power*: i'm reading a fab book at the mo.. celia lashlie's He'll Be OK written by a NZ author, who used to work in prisons.
i'm learning heaps about *how men respond to life*. very interesting!!

Emily said...

This isnt a comment about the post, I was just wondering how you got your yahoo person onto your blog. I made one but I cant figure out how to get it from Yahoo to my blog...

Steven G. said...

It is awfully easy to look at down from our ivory towers of perfect parenting at someone who is at least honest.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Well, since I said right in my article that no parent is perfect, your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. But does not being perfect mean "not even trying"?

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Ug! I couldn't even bring myself to read her entire article because I find a constant drum beat of "me me me" to be very boring.

Observation: playing Candy Land six times in a row is not my idea of the ideal afternoon but I do it because I enjoy seeing my daughter happy. I like spending time with her and playing with her on HER level is helping us bond and build on our relationship.

My hope is as she grows older we'll have more activities we'll enjoy doing together. But that won't happen if I don't take the time to interact with her now.

I think the woman who wrote the article is very short sighted.

Rick said...

DMG, I think you are giving the lady too much credit. I'm not even sure she has sight.

Steven G. said...

Barb

I was replying to overall tone of your post and the comments. As far as your obligatory "no parent is perfect" is the equivalent of "not to be mean" before you say something really mean.

To your second question of "does not being perfect mean not even trying". Scripturely, it is clear that Christ wants us to strive for holiness (Hebrews 4:14). Scripturely, it is also clear that Christ does not want us to insult our neighbor or call them a "fool". (Matt 5:22)

I agree with you that "it is terribly, horribly, soberingly sad" that Ms. Kirwan-Taylor is so obviously "curved in upon herself", but that reality is just as true and just as sad in ourselves.

Admin said...

There is such a thing as being s-mothered to death. Our mom was a stay at home. They all were in the '60s, but that didn't mean they didn't have bridge club, cocktail and dinner parties, and all that.

We were shoved us in our rooms until all homework was done, then outside to play with the other kids in the 'hood. During parental events, we were to be door greeters, then up to our rooms for the rest of the night. Dad traveled overseas on business a lot.

Parents did not play Candyland. They played golf, tennis, and bridge. Were we neglected? Not by a long shot.

The upshot is that as an adult I'm much closer to my father who didn't smother me, than to my mother who got on my nerves all the time.

I see nothing whatsoever wrong with that. I didn't turn out warped. I didn't throw temper tantrums in church or in the aisle of the grocery store, like kids today do--now THAT is what is warped.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

You can't spell "smother" without "mother."

Yes - there is such a thing as being overly involved/protective with your children. There's a term for it - "helocopter parents." These are the parents who don't let their kids do anything on their own without supervision and who do everything for their children long after the children are capable of doing things for themselves.

I think we can all agree there needs to be a balance. Parents need time to be adults just as much as children need one-on-one attention from their parents. If we dote on our children night and day, they do not learn to become self sufficient but if we don't give them enough attention then they miss out on other lessons and the parent/child relationship suffers.

I still think the woman who wrote the article is a bit in the extreme with her attitude towards her children.