Monday, May 01, 2006

Family Doings




Saturday evening was the first of my youngest daughter's interclass "meets" in gymnastics. She did well and had fun. They were "judged" based on their own performance, not ranked against others. She got red ribbons (second best) in bars, balance beam and floor, and a blue ribbon (best) in "vault," which for her skill group actually consists of running up to a little trampoline at full speed and jumping off of it. Guess they have to start somewhere! I'm throwing in some pictures, one of which was taken after the event. She'll have another "meet" again near the end of May.

The gym where she takes classes is also where many of the high-level gymnasts in the area train. One of the owners of the gym coaches the Magnificat High School girls' gymnastic team, which did very well again this year. Sometimes when my daughter is taking classes, some of the older girls are practicing as well, and it is fun to watch the more complicated moves!

My husband and I were not feeling our best yesterday, but Gino did build a fire last night in our fire bowl/dish/pit. It was our first one this year. I look forward to making lots of yummy hot dogs and s'mores! Last night we had delivery pizza around the fire. Like I said, we weren't feeling our best! :) We're cooking hot dogs tonight. I can't wait! It's been such a beautiful day!

4 comments:

Marie N. said...

Love the gym pictures! Competative gymnastics has a special place in my heart. My cousin in Louisiana owns a gym and coaches down there. Thankfully, his business was not hurt by Katrina. Way to go kiddo! Keep up the good work.

Genuine Lustre said...

The gymnastic meet looks like so much fun. I love watching my kids at their sports.
Did you , like me, want to be Nadia Comeneche? ( sp?) I spent many hours playing on a 2x4 in the backyard - m y balance beam.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I was never very gifted at athletics, so no dreams of being a favorite athlete. I did like flipping over a bar on my stomach at a neighbor's house.

skatey katie said...

woot woot
congrats on the ribbons...

:o) there's something so special about huddling together around a fire at night.. lots of cool family memories here