Monday, April 17, 2006

Curve Ball


We found out today that our minivan has developed engine problems that would cost about as much to fix as we paid for the minivan (used) in the first place. So for now we will be down to our little (used) four-door Mazda stick-shift that needs a new muffler and has almost 200,000 miles on it. This is where I have to throw in the comment about how lucky I am to be able to be a stay-at-home mom!

I have to admit, the car news has been physically and emotionally draining, and life will get trickier for us for a while, not to mention more time-consuming driving my husband to and from work when necessary. Still, we'll work through it. I feel like there are things I can do, I have a specific goal to work toward, and that helps a lot. I've made a few tentative tries at sewing doll clothes to sell, because it's something I enjoy very much, I can do it from home, and I can use fabric scraps on top of it! If I work at this more seriously, hopefully I can help get us another vehicle faster. I'm sharing an example of an outfit I made to keep for myself (the dress and hat.)

4 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

Barb - I can't believe I just discovered your blog - is it a secret?
I'm tentatively hoping to see you on Fri . . . .

Marie N. said...

I've seen the child-size dresses you've sewn and they are exquisite. This doll dress is amazing too.

Do you make your own patterns? I can imagine the fun of looking through the booklets of Edwardian or Victorian paper dolls for ideas. Or browsing the Madame Alexander website, etc.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Thank you for the compliment, Marie! I do make my own doll patterns, and getting ideas for things is a big part of the fun. I love all those gorgeous clothes.

Lutheran Lucy said...

Barb, you are so gifted!! I always loved the Barbie doll clothes that my mom had made for me!! I bet you could make some good money!

From what I have read, your mini-van has totally pooped out on you! My husband and I shared our one car for many years and got by. Sometimes it was a little hectic; however, it forced us to be disciplined with our time! It also gave us some another chance to see each other during the day! It is a good challenge. I will admit that it has helped to have our second vehicle though! I will pray for you about this matter!
Blessings!