Saturday, December 22, 2007

Success

Wildchild's Christmas dress is just about done. I have to say, my Bernette sewing machine and serger did a great job going through layers of both the taffeta-type skirt and the heavy cotton velveteen. I did break one needle, but once I put a 90 needle in, I had no problems with the thick layers. I had problems getting the zipper right and ended up hand-basting it first. There's a couple of things I'd like to do, but it's very wearable the way it is. It mainly needs a hook and eye on the top back, which I will sew on tonight, and a velvet ribbon sewn around the bottom of the skirt, to hide a little patchwork I had to do on the back of the skirt, when I discovered that I bought a little less fabric than I needed. Of course, the four Joann's stores I checked had every other holiday fabric still in stock but that one. However, I was careful to match the plaids, and the join is way down at the bottom of the skirt, so I doubt it would be very noticeable, except by those people with whom I attend church who also read my blog!

I'm not sure that my Christmas apparel will be done by Christmas, but I'm glad the girls will have something nice to wear. Once I'm done with Christmas, I will go back to sewing everyday clothes, hopefully getting lots of sewing lessons in with the girls. I should also emulate The Elephant's Child and get started on Easter dresses, since Easter comes so early this year!

5 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Hey, I only said I SHOULD get started on Easter, not that I ACTUALLY HAD. :)

And the Christmas dress I made for myself is TOO SMALL. PHOOEY. No time to remake it.

Consecutive Odds said...

Beautiful dress! She looks absoultely radient!

Marie N. said...

You are so talented!

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Well, I haven't either, EC, so I'll emulate you in that I SHOULD start working on Easter. Bummer about the Christmas dress.

Thank you, Liz and Marie!

Unknown said...

The dress is beautiful! I admire you so much for sewing many of your own clothes for you and the family and teaching this lost art to your girls. That is really neat!