Thursday, October 25, 2007

Downside of the Beach Life

Apparently, Avon Lake, a city here in Lorain County just west of Cleveland, and right on Lake Erie, had higher cases of melanoma than expected from 1996 to 2002. Sure, living by a lake, it's fun to hang out at the beach, go boating or jet skiing, or just walk by the lake and enjoy the beautiful scenery. But we do live towards the north, so we get cold winter and grey days, when people aren't exactly out working on their tan. Maybe water reflection combined with the sun's rays has an even stronger effect than one would think?

3 comments:

Gino A Melone said...

Or maybe that particular, upscale suburb has higher tanning salon usage?

Elephantschild said...

Oooo, that Mr. BTEG is a smart cookie, he is. :)

That *must* be the explanation.

Susan B. said...

I'm sure we have tons of skin cancer here. My Mom had a pre-cancer removed from her temple a year or two ago and my aunt (her sister) has some very persistent skin cancer areas she's been trying to get rid of. (Theirs comes not from laying out in the sun, but from working in the sun when they were kids growing up on a farm.)

I decided when I was a teen that I was not going to be like so many sun-worshipers around here who lay out in the sun (or tanning beds) getting tans and then end up with premature wrinkles and leathery skin. I'm pale and I'm proud! :-)