Saturday, November 11, 2006

Safely Through Another Week

It was a very Gloomy Sort of Day. (The Scientist has been re-reading Winnie the Pooh.) It was weird to have a thunderstorm the night before, in November! But my husband finished some things today that really needed to be done out in the garage, and I got a few things accomplished myself that have been eluding me for a while. The Scientist and Wildchild were very excited to help Papa out in the garage. I joke with DH that I thought we had girls instead of boys! Wildchild does have her girly side, such as loving jewelry and pretty dresses. Ironically, she is allergic to nickel, so she can only wear real gold jewelry. The Scientist, however, decided very early on that she identified with her beloved Papa, and there was a time that she didn't want anything to do with things that were "too girly." Fortunately, she has come to terms with the fact that she is, indeed, a girl. :)

I suppose I'm just a pessimist. The week has not been fabulously fantastic, but we had a good routine in school and work, and it just seems too good to last!

5 comments:

chaplain7904 said...

Only likes gold, eh? Better find her a rich boy to marry.

~Kathy~ said...

Mary seems to be at odds with herself. She loves to be outdoors, climbing trees, collecting bugs and stuff, and being with Dad; but, she also dearly loves her dolls, her pretty dresses and all other things girly.
I've actually caught her climbing a tree in a dress before (with shorts on underneath, of course). LOL!
I have the same allergy. My skin turns green with costume jewelry, even the good kind.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Chaplain, it's not that she only *likes* gold; it's that her skin breaks out in a rash when she wears sterling silver or costume jewelry. Know any rich young lads between seven and nine or so? lol!

Kathy, I think you can find "girly" things and "tomboyish" things in the same girl. The Scientist was just trying to avoid *anything* girly for quite a while, and well, she's a girl! Fortunately, she seems to be enjoying being a girl now, even if she never loves jewelry and styling her hair for hours. :)

skatey katie said...

it's funny that we have distinct ideas as to what's girly and what's not.

and it bugs me that it's ok to be a tomboy, but boys get teased if they're in touch with their feminine side.

ok, better have my coffee now :o)

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Sorry to offend ya, Kate. :) Actually, the Scientist herself decided that certain things were too "girly," like the color purple. She changes favorite colors like her clothes, though, so that one didn't last too long.

I have ideas on why boys get teased for being perceived as girly, but since this is a family blog, ya know...

If it makes you feel any better, Kate, my husband was taught cooking and the rudiments of sewing by his grandmother. Since he's Italian, he can even wear jewelry! ;)