Monday, November 06, 2006

Mr. Blue Sky

Even knowing how weather affects humans, especially those people with SAD, it still amazes me how much a beautiful day such as today, when the air is mild, there is not a cloud in the sky, and the sun is shining brilliantly, perks me up. Of course, yesterday was almost as beautiful a day, and the weather did very little to help my mood. I was rather gloomy all day. Of course, not having any breakfast, and therefore not getting most of my meds taken, was probably the biggest factor there. Yesterday, I did get help from a friend, and we went clothes shopping! Yes, shopping is not the remedy to everything, but especially when one has not gotten new clothes in a while, a little shopping trip can be therapeutic. Today in contrast I had a yummy, if not exactly healthy breakfast, took all my meds, and got off to a good start on the day.

Does this happen to anyone else, that a good start to your day will propel you through the rest of the day and it will all go well, or a bad start will leave you so down that you'll just slog through the rest of the day and feel discontented at the end?

Is it sad that my children, and many others, know Mom or Dad has to check their Halloween candy before they eat it? Or is it a good thing, knowing that we live in a fallen world and that therefore we do need to be aware of bad things that could happen? Or do we parents overreact?

I had a humorous conversation with the Princess yesterday after I told her life was not always all about her. Princess: "But I have a shirt that says 'Life is all about me!'."

8 comments:

skatey katie said...

babe
a *good* or a *bad* day for me>>
it's all to do with *people* and *creativity* and *sunshine*.
so if i know someone's coming over, or we're going out somewhere, it's gonna be a great day.
if we're home alone, i really struggle.
but if it's a sunny day and we're home alone, sometimes it's bearable.
or if i have a wee project on the go and my creative juices are flowing, it's a fabulous day.
and if the kids have a less-squabbly day that's good too.

so: nothing intrinsic happening here lol. it's all to do with external factors.. oh, and at least two espressos....

and i definitely agree with The Princess :o)

~Kathy~ said...

Having one of "those" days here. Of course, it has been pouring down rain (with lots of thunder & lightening too) here all day, with no signs of slowing down. It really makes it hard to feel like doing anything. Blah!
I need my sunshine! Of course, just like you said, if I don't have a "good" start to the day, it takes a lot to perk up too.
So glad your friend came along and took you out shopping!

Scottius Maximus said...

Barb!

Is the title of this post an ELO reference?

I'm sure it's not always this simple, but on "bad days" just tell yourself, "looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue." Like Lloyd Bridges in Airplane! Brings a smile to my face almost every time. And if not, well...I'll be drinking early that day!

Seriously, hope you feel better. I used to get like this, until I made myself see the beauty in a gray day too. There's plenty there.

Presbytera said...

The 3 biggest factors which influence my days in order of influence are sunshine, how much sleep I had the night before and exercising. Sunshine can make up for a lot of no sleep and can even lift me up if I haven't exercised. Since I am going through a hormonal seesaw with night sweats, lack of sleep can really get me dragging.

Today was a good day for me too Barb. Sunshine abounded; I was so exhausted from my Sabbath rest that I slept the sleep of the dead last night and I got up and exercised.

Tomorrow....rain predicted and a doctor's appt....we'll see if I sleep tonight.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

I agree - a bad start to the day can mean nothing but trouble brewing ahead.

However, if I have something fun to look forward to during the day (lunch with a friend) I find that keeps me happy and busy through the morning. Then the afternoon seems to go quicker because I had such a good time at lunch. The event pulls me up and then carries me through the rest of the day.

I've also learned that if something bad happens (getting off on the wrong foot, running late because of traffic...etc...) then try to tell the story to somebody in a way that makes them laugh. If you can do that then it wasn't that bad. You might even find yourself laughing.

Hang in there! A new day is coming. :-)

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Kate, thanks for your input! I do need more people in my life; just have to figure out how. And you're so right about the creative thing!

Kathy, hope your day is better today.

Scottius! Of course it's an ELO reference! Can I sniff magic markers? ;) I do see beauty in gray days in the fall, when the leaves are still colorful and beautiful. Just a combo of stuff.

Barb, if I'm this bad now, I'm afraid I'll be a basket case when the "hormonal seesaw" starts!

DMG, thanks for the advice!

Marie N. said...

I'm joioning the party late...

For me the good or bad day has more to do with whether or not I have to leave home. If I have to leave...grumble grumble. If I get to stay home, it is a going to be a great day. Funny how, if I get stuck at home (a car in the shop, sick kids) it is no fun at all.

mamajuliana said...

Hi! I just found your blog through Aardvark Alley.
If I get up WAY ahead of the kids and hubby and can get something accomplished before they get up, I'm OK. Once they are up and running I just feel that I can't keep up. If I can get everything we need to do for school that day ordered and ready BEFORE they start asking...It's all good!
Today looks good-I cleaned some this morning and it is field trip day!