Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Eight Things You May Not Know About Me

I got tagged by Laura of the Wide Awake Cafe.

1. I collect Cat’s Meow Village pieces. Cat's Meow pieces are generally wooden pieces painted to look like buildings, or landscapes. The pieces I have are generally of some meaning to me, like Lakewood Hospital, where I was born, or Jacob's Field, home of the Cleveland Indians. They are called Cat's Meow because each piece has a black cat somewhere on it.

2. I collect dolls and have dolls in several sizes. I also like to sew for them; I neglected to add doll patterns as part of my pattern collection in my pattern cabinet post.

3. I’m interested in the history of royalty, especially Queen Victoria and her numerous descendants. I got started with my interest in Victorian-era fashion and it grew from there. It's a window into a whole other life, in a different era.

4. I have lived in Ohio all of my life, mostly in the Greater Cleveland area.

5. I don’t like to cook very much. I do it because it’s best for my family, and the most inexpensive option for meals. I get into moods where I like to do something fancy, like a completely homemade apple pie.

6. I was in Spain for a week when I was in high school. My high school group visited Málaga, Seville, Córdoba, Granada, Toledo and Madrid.

7. I’m not very good at taking care of plants. I still like them. It’s kind of a sad thing.

8. In my former pre-mom life, I used to be a computer programmer for the Navy payroll system. I also have done copywriting and proofreading, and page layout on the computer. I’m old enough to remember page layout before computers, when pages would be printed out from a big old typesetting machine and manually laid out.

I'm going to tag The Elephant's Child, Jau at just muttering, and the Lutheran Hen.

7 comments:

Lutheran Lucy said...

Hey Barb, it was neat to learn some more things about you! I love your doll's costumes!!

So were you in the navy, or just worked as an "outsider"? I don't know what else to call it! :)

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I wasn't in the Navy, I just worked for the federal government, specifically the Defense Finance and Accounting Service. I did have to have a background check before I was hired, as I had a very, very low level security clearance.

Elephantschild said...

Eight things? Hmmm... I'll think on that.

skatey katie said...

ohmygosh
LOOK AT YOUR DOLLIES!!!!!!!!
they're gorgeous :o)

jau said...

Barb, those are very interesting. The doll costumes are amazing! I have to tell you that I love this blogging thing - getting to know someone you'd almost certainly never even have met otherwise. And thanks for the tag; I'll do it Saturday though it won't be anywhere near as interesting as yours.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Confession time! I didn't sew most of what my dollies are wearing in the picture; I didn't mean to imply that I did! (looks embarrassed). I do like sewing for them, though.

jau said...

OK, I did it. Read 8 things about me and enjoy (I hope). It was fun to think about and write, actually, so thank you.