Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Merry What-Mas?

I am aware that secular families put up a Christmas tree at Christmas; many people who are not Christian do indeed celebrate this holiday. However, I found it interesting to see a Buddha ornament among the Christmas ornaments at my local World Market store. Celebrating Christmas as a "generic winter holiday" is one thing. Throwing another religion into a religious holiday is... different. Maybe something like adding Shinto practices on to Rosh Hashanah. But I suppose once people start redefining Christmas, they can just go on redefining it. I'm happy to be celebrating the birth of my Savior at Christmas.

I would have taken a picture, but the picture gallery on my phone is acting strangely.

2 comments:

Pauli said...

Buddha sort of looks like Santa Claus on holiday without the clothes on. You know, hanging out at the beach.

Also... didn't he receive enlightenment under some sort of tree?

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Very creative, Pauli! Wonder if it would cause an international incident if you were to go to a Buddhist country and stick a Santa hat on a Buddha.