Monday, May 19, 2008

Albatross

I have a dollhouse; my parents gave it, or the start of it, to me for Christmas when I was 8 years old. It's a Lundby dollhouse, if any of you are knowledgeable about, or care about dollhouses. I'd like you all's words of wisdom and advice, because I am thinking it is time to get rid of it. My daughters never played with it; they were rough on the plastic dollhouse furniture they had, never mind fragile little chairs in a much smaller scale made out of wood. They've never shown much interest in it. Maybe they've always just seen it as "Mom's." I haven't actually had the dollhouse set up for years, literally. I know the stuff will fetch good prices on eBay, and go to adults, most likely, who will cherish it. Yet, I have a thing about selling it. It feels like giving away the remnants of my childhood, if that makes any sense. It feels like I'm betraying my parents, who I believe were very proud of being able to give me such an expensive toy. Of course, I'm not currently on speaking terms with either of my parents; maybe that's an added problem. Do any of you have any insight on getting rid of childhood items, or "clutter" in general, that you feel you ought to part with, but there's that lingering tug?

4 comments:

Lutheran Lucciola said...

I'm so sorry you are not on speaking terms with your folks. That must be hard.

I say get rid of it, and use the money for something for yourself. I used to feel the same way about things, but I am sick of having stuff.

skatey katie said...

mmmmm
maybe you feel that selling it would be cathartic cos it's got parental-emotion all wound up in it?
maybe your granddaughters (they'll arrive someday lol) will adore it?
maybe your heart is saying: wait just a little longer before you ditch it?

it sounds as though you're not quite ready to part with it, and the decision is not a clear-cut one.

i am back collecting sentimental clutter lol, in the form of "wearable art" (my mum's dresses lol because they mean so much to me) but i do get rid of junk.

not very helpful, but there's my thoughts
mwah X

Assrot said...

Put some old Barbie's in it. Sit it out in the back yard and let loose on it with your favorite shotgun.

That will give you and the parents something to talk about and probably give your kids a good laugh.

:-)

Molon Labe,
Joe

Elephantschild said...

I like LL's idea. If the thing has bad "karma" (UGH, for lack of a better word) sell it and use the money to buy a new heirloom for your girls.