Sunday, March 12, 2006

MY message

I heard Glenn Beck on the radio discussing how so many current TV shows seem to be pushing some "message." I've certainly noticed that, and it's pretty much turned me off of television. Watching very little television is certainly a good thing, but I have to admit to enjoying an evening of mindless entertainment now and then. Not that you can anymore, because you're always receiving some sort of "message" instead. I've been finding that "message" a lot of places. Movie messages definitely have been the talk of writers everywhere recently. The Government is Evil, Big Corporations are Evil, and Terrorists are People Too. I have to quit buying well-made toys my girls enjoy when companies start promoting organizations that want to give my daughters "reproductive choice" instead of just making a toy. Why is it so hard to even find a good online bulletin board on a subject I enjoy without also being informed that our President is stupid; that we can't judge a man who's dumped his wife and the mother of his two children, one a newborn; or hearing every detail about a member's lesbian Jewish wedding. Hello, if I'm in a group about skating, or sewing, I want to read about that! I don't want to hear your opinion about some other controversial subject thrown in as incontrovertible fact! When did it happen that certain opinions were always acceptable to be pushed on everybody for any reason at any time? Just a case of hoping if you say it often enough, it'll become true?

No comments: