Saturday, September 23, 2006

Too Great Not to Share

Since I know many of my readers are interested in baseball, I'd like to let you all know about Strikeouts for Troops, with a hat tip to the Anchoress. You can read about the details on their website, but basically major league players (with a couple minor leaguers) are donating money for our troops being treated at military hospitals. Pitchers are donating per strikeout; hitters per hits, homeruns and RBIs. I'm proud to say that our very own C.C. Sabathia and Matt Miller are involved, although Matt Miller's out for the year, but hey, he did sign up at least. We also have a former Indian, Mr. "That's just Manny being Manny" Ramirez himself. Scottius, Lucy, think you could get Albert Pujols involved for next year? :)

As the Anchoress pointed out, this is something that should be making bigger news, but isn't. Sadly, the Anchoress is not surprised. It would have been nice for the Indians organization to say something about it, unless I just missed it. Anyway, I'm proud of our troops, proud of our Indians, and think this is a great idea.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Barb, that's a great story. I know C.C. grew up in the Oakland area, and it looks like he may have heard about the program somewhere back home. The press releases at the site focus primarily on the Oakland and Houston participants.

Way to go C.C. and Manny! (I always liked Manny.)

Scottius Maximus said...

Barb!

I promise, the next time I talk to Albert (which coincidently will be the first time I talk to him), I'll ask about this!

Sounds good, though.