Wednesday, September 13, 2006

More of the Same

I wanted to update everyone that yesterday I received the books I ordered from Book Closeouts. I ordered them late Friday night, so they made it here in good time, and the shipping is not overpriced either, which is how some places with low prices "make up the difference." I did have the items sent UPS; media mail will take quite a bit longer but is of course cheaper!

On the subject of books, what do all you parents with school-age kids think/do on the subject of "reading" in the higher grades? The Scientist devours any book within reach, and her comprehension is fairly good. Is there any more to it than that? She doesn't always see the "deeper meanings" English classes are so fond of; you know, like "What was the author trying to say with the thunderstorm during the argument of the two main characters?" yada yada yada. But I think she's a bit young for that yet. By the way, she's ten, eleven all too soon!

Another question for you Ohioans, or anyone who knows of a good source for maps. I am doing some history of the state of Ohio this year, and I would like to find a good size map that shows important roads, cities, historical places, etc. A road map might work but is really a bit cluttered for what I ideally want. Also it would be great to have a topographical map where the girls could see, for example, how much flatter the land is here in the northern part of the state than down south. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

On the Big Government front, it is of course the national government's job to get all obese children in this country to lose weight, right? And yet experts are bemoaning the government shutting down "a promising program that portrayed exercise as cool." So let me get this straight, kids are supposed to resist every temptation to smoke cigarettes, but these "slick ads" encouraging kids to exercise were working so well? Of course, the government did basically force cigarette companies to quit running a lot of their "slick ads." Obviously our children just need the proper advertising, and at a cost of $59 million last year, what a steal! State and local projects do seem a little more promising, and more appropriate at the local level, like new bike paths or a community garden. Still, I dislike reading quotes from "experts" that talk about "full-scale" social change being needed. And of course they should be in charge. Sorry, but no. My husband and I will decide how our family should live, thankyouverymuch!

I'm also disturbed by the reaction of a woman's family to her sentence of 8 years for starting a fire in her home and keeping her two daughters inside. Fortunately, neighbors managed to save them. The woman has problems, yes. The family admitted she was schizophrenic and off her meds when she almost killed her daughters. However, I disagree with what her stepfather said: "She needs help more than jail time. You know, I thought the system would rehabilitate people, not incarcerate." Well, if she needs help, where was her family? Why weren't they making sure she was taking her meds? Maybe she shouldn't even be living alone with just herself and her two daughters? For that matter, where is the children's father? Hello, the Criminal Justice System's job is to incarcerate! How can "the system" rehabilitate her? How will they magically insure she takes her meds once she is free? There are plenty of psychiatrists out there, and even financial assistance if you can't afford the payments. Perhaps her family should make sure she starts seeing one when she gets out of the joint. And I say this as a person who has seen mental issues/problems with being off medication/not admitting you have issues at all. But the first responsibility lies with the individual, and then with family/friends when things become difficult for the individual, and they can, and probably will. I wouldn't trust "the system" to "fix" anyone.

3 comments:

Marie N. said...

Hi Barb,

We're not ready to critically examine literature in our school yet.

Perhaps in tenth grade? Maybe junior year? I'm not sure when I'll begin.

I can't really give you a "How to" on that, but let me recommend buying/borrowing books with criticisms included in the Introduction or in an afterword, such as Signet Classic paperbacks for Shakespeare's plays, etc.

There are also resources on the web that offer Cliff Notes-style literature helps. Hmmm, I didn't bookmark any. I think I found them by searching for "Cliff Notes."

skatey katie said...

On the subject of books, what do all you parents with school-age kids think/do on the subject of "reading" in the higher grades? ..She doesn't always see the "deeper meanings" English classes are so fond of.. she's ten..

i love what charlotte mason has to say on this: let the child really enjoy lots of *living* books, and just talk about them as they wish..(my paraphrase)

i love to read books *with* my older kids.. by ourselves.. but in tandem, and chat about it as we both digest it.
i do read *to* my younger ones still, and even the older ones will stop and listen, or take a turn reading aloud for our listening pleasure.

for me, it's about the *love* of it, and i think english teachers can kill that.
(but as you know, i tend towards unstructured learning..)
and all of our kids are developing intelligent, inquiring minds.. i remember when d17 was twelve, explaining all the twists and turns in shakespeare's twelfth night to lil' confused me..
*grin*

skatey katie said...

just to add:
i said:
for me, it's about the *love* of it, and i think english teachers can kill that.

I mean: i think teaching too much too soon can kill that.

i remember when i was about eight years old we visited the zoo. the teachers wanted us to fill in a huge Q&A on the animals as we were walking around the zoo.
that really *killed* the enjoyment and wonder and zoo experience for me.
i can see their reasoning now, but i think it would've been w-a-y better to just let us *absorb* and talk about it later, you know??
i believe that young children *get it* mostly by osmosis.

back to critiquing english texts:
i loved it when i was about 16-17yrs.. and i was really ready for formally discussing themes/meaning...