Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Divorce Hurts

Pointed out to me by Mr. Evil Genius, the top ten myths of divorce. Most of the truths of these already familiar to me, such as the fact that those who live together before marriage actually have a higher rate of divorce, and that when parents don't get along, it's not always best for the kids if the parents divorce. Now, my parents were among those who created a high-conflict home for their kids, and I have to admit I was relieved when my father moved out, just because the everyday fighting would cease. However, it certainly didn't stop the problems or the stress. We had the heartbreak of finding out by accident that my dad was already living with someone else four months after the divorce was final. I still don't know who she was. My parents still fought about money and possessions, and our standard of living definitely went down after my father left. And all three of us daughters suffered in regards to relationships with men. I've said this before, but my parents' divorce still affects me today, almost twenty-one years since it happened. Parents, be there for your kids, and dads, be there for your daughters!

2 comments:

Gino A Melone said...

I honestly believe that your family is a good example of the "arguments are bad" but divorce is worse scenario the article describes. The environment you and your sisters put up with was horrible. But, dealing with the acid, conflict and sense-of-betrayal from the divorce had a much more lasting, and consequential, impact.

Presbytera said...

My parents obviously fought quietly because the first hint I had that there was a problem was when I saw their wedding picture ripped to shreds. Sometime after that, they asked my brother and me to go for a walk. It was shortly after that, they divorced. My dear husband, before he proposed, was hesitant to believe that I would not just cut and run if we had problems. Obviously, he became convinced that I would honor the commitment! It certainly helps that we both realize that we are forgiven sinners : )