Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Doll Discussion

Wildchild is ready to "move on" from Bitty Baby and get an 18" (or so) doll. I'm not sure I want to get her an American Girl doll, both because I feel the American Girl company under Mattel has gotten into political advocacy through the dolls, and because it's my understanding that the dolls are made in China now, and the price is rather high for that. However, it seems that some of the other high quality doll makers, such as Götz, have gone out of business, and there is not much of a selection out there other than American Girl. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Update: Apparently Götz was rumored to have gone out of business, but hasn't. Now if I could find a dealer, and if Wildchild likes the dolls...

5 comments:

Consecutive Odds said...

Are you looking for a collectable doll or one she could actually play with and not regret doing so in 20 years? Walmart often has very pretty 18 in dolls this time of year, if you're not looking for a collectable.

Unknown said...

http://www.dollsclothes-emilyrose.com/18inchdolls.html
this is the place where i won the gift certificate.

Elephantschild said...

Have you looked into dolls made by Kathy Kruse? They are "Waldorf" style dolls, so they don't look like American Girl, but they're absolutely lovely. Google "Kathy Kruse" to see what they look like. There are even patterns and kits available to make your own.

My mom has used Weir dolls for the two dolls she has made.

Kim said...

We have a number of American Girl dolls in the house and even though they are made in China, they are well made unlike many of the knock-offs I've seen in the stores. I'm impressed by the quality of the clothes and available accessories for the dolls. We've had a few problems with Kaya's travois but the company unexpectedly shipped us a new one at no charge when I emailed them about the quality (we had purchased it 6 months before). Their customer service is wonderful!

As far as the political leanings of the company, I don't think you can get away from that no matter where you buy your stuff. With AG I haven't noticed anything that's really in your face, but I'm not actively looking either. I figure I'm paying for a doll and I can't control what the company does with their money, just like I can't control what Disney or Walmart or Sears or ... does with their profits.

Yes the dolls are expensive but they hold up very well, dd's oldest doll is 6 years old and still looks great even though she has been well loved.

Kristyn Hall said...

Go to www.visionforum.com and click on "The Beautiful Girlhood Collection." These dolls are gorgeoous. The Vision Forum is run by a Reformed Baptist family... no abortion activists there like at American Girl.