Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Baseball Talk

I thought some of you might be interested in Paul Byrd's take on being a Christian in the major leagues, and the personal struggles he's faced. He's got a book coming out and I might get it; it sounds interesting. This is a nice article about Byrdie too. He may not be our ace, but I hope he's earned some respect for his pitching ability.

Also, I just discovered on Let's Go Tribe that first baseman Ryan Garko has a playoff blog. He's had some interesting quotes during the playoffs, so check it out if you want one Indian's perspective on what they're doing. How can you not like a guy who says, talking about what he did before the last game they played in Boston, "I spent my day at the food court eating chicken fingers with my cousin, Corey “Big Body” Erb." :)

4 comments:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

This is interesting:

"I grew up in a mildly religious background. My mom took me to Catholic church. I went to Catholic school. But I became a Christian somewhere in '91. I was the guy who said a prayer to receive Christ about 35 times, but kept struggling with all kinds of stuff. Eventually, I realized I'm not perfect. I need to relax. When I was honest with where I was, it made a difference in the lives of people around me. Here they were thinking I have no struggles, no issues. But I said, "No man, I battle stuff all the time.""

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Dan - You found the money quote! That really struck me too. He might make a good Lutheran. :)

Scottius Maximus said...

Barb!

Sort of off topic, but-
I just noticed that the stadium in your Avatar looks a lot like Jacobs Field. How cool.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Scottius, I've noticed that too! It *is* cool.