Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Schreiblesefibel

The next time your kids complain about learning reading, or phonics, or handwriting, show them these pictures. They are from a book I happened to find on ebay. It doesn't appear to have a publishing date, but it obviously dates to way, way back, and belonged to someone who lived in Detroit, Michigan. It's called a Schreiblesefibel, which roughly translates to Reading and Writing Booklet.

It was published by Concordia Publishing House in St. Louis, Missouri.

First, the child learned simple phonics and handwriting, like l for Lampe and r for Rad. In German script.

The child also learned the sounds of letter combinations.

There were reading passages, like this doctrinal gem: Jesus, the Good Shepherd. A shepherd watches over the sheep. Jesus is my good shepherd. He leads me to pastures. I am Jesus' little sheep. Jesus gave His life for His sheep. He also died for me. Jesus redeemed me from my sins. He is my Redeemer. In baptism, I became Jesus' little sheep. Jesus loves the children.

There are other sections of reading and writing exercises.

Here are two pages that show the alphabet in upper and lower case. Looks fun, doesn't it?

Lastly, a page of prayers, and a page of I'm-not-sure-what. Some of the squares almost look like quilt blocks, don't they? Is this prayer familiar to anyone? Komm, Herr Jesu, Sei unser Gast, und segne, was du uns bescheret hast.

3 comments:

Marie N. said...

Beautiful! The book reminds me a bit of the McGuffey Readers I borrow from the library for the Engineer to read.

I think the page of designs in the back shows designs the students are to copy as penmanship warm-ups to strengthen their skills.

The children who learned with these books managed fountain pens and crafted beautiful script.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that until the early '60's, kids were taught cursive FIRST, and block-printing was allowed to develop later. If you think about it, you really only need about 4 different strokes form most cursive letters, and linking the letters together naturally spaces the characters better. Then again, kids didn't head off to school until 6 or 7 either. And many children had done ample work around the house with their hands before that.

As a dedicated fountain-pen user, I find the history of penmanship and handwriting fascinating.

Lizard said...

I am teaching my 6-yr old Cursive first. He has some learning issues and cursive has really worked for him. BUT if I showed him this book he would scream...