Sunday, April 29, 2007

Salzburg, Austria

Well, I told Laura I would post some pics of my trip to Salzburg, Austria, after being inspired to do so from one of her recent posts. After much computer wrangling by Mr. Evil Genius, and a lot of scanning, the pics are finally ready! It's a good excuse to scan them in; I really should do that for all my Germany-Austria pictures to help preserve them.

Mr. Evil Genius and I took a train from Vienna to Salzburg on February 3, 1990. We were still both in college back then, and not sure if we were dating yet (pretty funny, huh?) We were the only ones in our college group to visit Salzburg; I don't know why. Besides all the Sound of Music stuff






there are a lot of lovely views, and a huge fortress/castle that I would think would be worth going just to see that.



We also saw Mozart's Geburtshaus, or birthplace. Wouldn't you love to have this lovely kitchen, ladies? Ah well, I suppose it might have been all the rage in 1756.


We also took a quick peek at the real Nonnburg Abbey. Pretty cool, kind of built into the mountain below the fortress.

It was a fun day trip, and I'm sure we could have spent lots more time there. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

3 comments:

Gino A Melone said...

Everything I can find online dates the fortress to 1077. However, I can clearly remember standing in a short passage way to the East of the public funicular reading a plaque describing how that section of the fortress dates to [some date with only three digits]. To the best of my knowledge, that spot is the oldest building/construction I've ever been in/on.

skatey katie said...

barb,
am having difficulty emailing you:
and i have n-e-w-s....

"the package is in the open"
(guess the movie line, lol)

yep, i sent the *oh so sparkly beads* today: they'll be in your letterbox within 4 - 10 days...

woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope you like the necklace as much as i do :o)

i also sent instructions for your girlies' bracelets: let me know how they go.....

love love and loads of summer fun

:o) kate X

Marie N. said...

Nice pictures. The fortress is impressive. Could the 1077 structure have been built around an older structure?