Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Family Vagaries

Did you ever get a wedding invitation and have no idea who the bride and groom were? That happened to me today, I believe for the first time. The wedding is taking place in my husband's hometown, so I'm presuming they are somehow related to him. I know my husband's family pretty well though, sometimes better than he does, and I have no guess who either of these people could be. His grandmother was the one who really knew all the ins and outs of the family tree, and believe me when I say, there were a lot of ins and outs. My husband's family on his father's side all came from a tiny village in Italy called Sulmona Valley, big enough that there weren't all the problems associated with massive inbreeding, but small enough that DH's family tree sometimes resembles a tangled vine more than a tree.

And yet, when my husband was at a cemetery in Chicago to see Al Capone's grave, he found several headstones that bore our family name, and also a couple headstones that carried another of the family names, and he had never heard of any of these people. It's interesting, because my husband *does* have family that lived in Chicago, and our family name is a relatively unusual one. I have often wished I had the time to do a thorough investigation into my own family tree. I guess the least I can do is write down what I do know, so my daughters can check into things if they are so inclined.

3 comments:

jau said...

Are you going to go, though???!

Barb the Evil Genius said...

If I can figure out who they are, perhaps? Our daughters aren't invited, and it's an hour and a half drive away.

skatey katie said...

oh, i say *go*!!!!!!!!!!!
i love weddings, you can just go for the cake and the dancing lol.
maybe grandma/grandpa can look after the girls and you and hubby can have a Wonderful Weekend :o)
you have a fabulous, exotic family history !!!!!!!!