Friday, December 01, 2006

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Like Emily, I thought I might have to put off the decorating to start building an ark! Fortunately, the rain stopped, although a strong wind replaced it. But I'm attempting to create some cheer inside. I bought a wreath at the store to give off that nice pine scent, since we have an artificial tree.

I strung some colored lights on the bannisters. I will probably hang lights other places as well, and maybe decorate the bannisters more. I just like the colored lights, and our tree has white ones (pre-strung tree).

These stockings are pictured especially for the Presbytera, and any other kitty lovers. :)


These little singers are special to me. I bought them in East Germany, right after the Berlin Wall fell. It is apparently a tradition for children to dress so, and go around singing carols at Christmas time. We saw some children like this in Leipzig, but I don't think I got a picture, because we were on a moving bus. :( I have two more singers, but they need a little repair. The Scientist was examining them down the basement before she brought them up, and she dropped the box. I'm glad I noticed now, as the girls didn't notice that pieces had fallen off, and the pieces were still on the basement floor. They might have become cat toys. :0

We might not put up the actual tree until after the Scientist's birthday, but at least my dolls are starting to decorate theirs!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lookin' Good!

Presbytera said...

Are the kitty stockings for your kittys or are they yours?

That's a good idea to fill the house with pine smell.

Is the tree your dolls are decorating a live one?

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Technically, those stockings are for the kitties, although the Meow stocking is much smaller than the other one. Their idea of a great Christmas gift is catnip or canned food, though, and we don't bother putting those in stockings. :)

Nope, my "dolly tree" is just a little artificial one, just for home decoration.

The house smells soooo good!

~Kathy~ said...

That doll scared me! Just kidding, LOL! It's just the first thought that popped into my head was "Look Out! It's Barbie-zilla!" I know, it's late and I need to be in bed.

I love all your decorations so far. The wreath is really pretty!

~Kathy~ said...

Can't believe it took me this long to remember that I forgot to ask you something. When were you guys over in Berlin. We were stationed in West Berlin from 87-90. We were there for the city's 750th anniversary, for Reagan's famous speech (hubby has a Presidential Invitiation he received for that), and for the Wall coming down. He actually went into "no man's land" to start whacking chunks off of the Wall in the very beginning of the fall of the Wall. We have a pretty good-sized piece and some smaller ones. It was an exciting time. Our landlady was originally from Postdam.
Those decorations look lovely. I have some really nice crystal from East Berlin. We weren't allowed to go any further than that, and even that was a royal pain to go to, so we only went twice.

skatey katie said...

sheesh i was thinking barbie-zilla thoughts too..
:o) you are winning that christmas race barb. our tree is up, and i bought 200 twinkle lights for it and some christmas cards yesterday. i was going to make the cards but have run out of steam. and we haven't got to *decorating* the tree yet cos we've had kids sleeping over/parties/smashed specs/hair frosting sessions/hideous kitchen clean ups which i am trying to avoid/massive washing pile which i am trying to avoid folding.. headache from being out last night.
oh gee, i *am* feeling sorry for myself. feel free to delete this post...
all to say:
the christmas spirit is alive and well and your place, and hopefully by the end of the week it will have travelled to my place.....
mwah

skatey katie said...

oh, and my camera is broked.
so we'll just have to imagine the tree at katie's place.....

skatey katie said...

and of course, what i meant to say was:
the christmas spirit is alive and well at your place

i really *really* need a coffee now...

Marie N. said...

Your home is looking cheerful!

That Barbie must be some kind of homemaker. I usually wear jeans and a sweat shirt to decorate my tree and I see she opted for the beaded evening gown.

I try to get Slinky some catnip for Christmas, but this year she will be getting a new cat food dish. Her old ceramic bowl broke when a can of soup fell off the pantry shelf and into the bowl.