Thursday, June 15, 2006

Unexpected Reward

Lutheran Lucy recently blogged about unexpected rewards. Well, nine years ago today this little ball of black and white fur was an unexpected reward in our life. We found his mother wandering the garden center of a home improvement store, and I was too soft-hearted to leave her there where she could be run over by a car or who knows what else, so she came home with us. I honestly planned to find a home for her, until we found out...she was pregnant! Not a big suprise for a stray female cat, really. Too bad you can't tell whether they are spayed or unspayed just by looking.

The poor little guy ended up being an only child. His brother and two sisters (I guessed this based on their coloring) did not survive birth. He received his name at the vet's office that night, where after 8 hours or so after the birth of the first kitten, Mama still had two kittens to deliver. We had to take Baby with us, of course. Our beloved vet took one look at our little guy and said, "Hey there, Champ!"

Since the Scientist was only a year old at the time of Champ's birth, you might say the two of them were babies together.

However, being a cat, Champ of course reached adulthood far sooner. He even learned to drive a car. From the look in his eyes, I'd say he's facing rush hour traffic. In Chicago.

Not only is Champ a valued addition to our feline household, being affectionate and loving and a buddy to our other cats, he helped us deal with the passing of another cat, my beloved Hobbes. However, I'll discuss Hobbes another time, as he deserves his own post. Catblogging is a time-honored tradition, and I'm surprised I'm just starting it now! :) Anyway, Champ can be goofy at times, but we still love him!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is soooo cute. I had cats of my own but, I had to give them away. My favorite cat was Mino, my dad found him one morning while getting on his boat. How mino got his name is he liked Mino's. I loved that cat so much. But he ran away. But we can't have cat's any more since my family is allergic. (not me) The only thing I don't miss is the kitty litter boxes,and the smell.

Anonymous said...

We had a snobby cat once colored similarly to Champ. He was given to me by a friend who told me he was a girl. The cat was named Scarlet after Scarlet O'Hara because it was snobby like her, and that character was b&w film icon. When the vet discovered, um, this is not a female cat, Rhett was an obvious name choice. We got rid of the rhinestone studded collar then too.

Lutheran Lucy said...

He is darling Barb! We have a dog so a cat would not be welcomed by him. He must have been around cats the first few months of his life because he acts like one sometimes. Pets are such blessings!! :)

Susan B. said...

Champ is so adorable! My sister found my cat Felix in the parking lot of where she worked. He was about four months old. He's fifteen years old now.

Des_Moines_Girl said...

Great kitty post! I think our beloved pets are just another one of God's great and sometimes unexpected gifts to us.

No pets yet in the DMG household but hope to add a puppy one of these days.

Rick said...

When we lived in Michigan - yes, I have been to the dark side - dw was "coaxed" by a stray to take it in. I don't know which was worse, the sad kitty eyes made to my wife, or the sad puppy eyes she made to me when asking to keep the cat.

Which we did keep, by the way, and which brought many years of enjoyment to our family.

Marie N. said...

The Quipper failed to mention it was the last week of October and the just-weaned and dumped kitten was all black. The news stations were warning people to keep their black cats indoors....so we HAD to take him in. He was not the smartest, but definately the favorite cat I've ever had. So sweet and so soft, even as an adult he was so silky.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Thanks to all of you for your comments and stories! Marie, I would have taken that black cat home too. You'll have to meet our black cat; his coat is also very silky.

Rick said...

The Quipper left out the minutae he deemed irrelevant to his side of the story. :P

Aaron.D.Nemoyer said...

Oh yes. That cat in definitely driving in Chicago rush hour traffic. I grew up in Chicago, so I can tell the look. :P

I want a cat, but my dad is allergic, so I just sit around happy to have a dog.