Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Disgruntled


I had an unsatisfactory shopping experience today that I'd like to rant about. The Scientist needed some sandals, and I was also going to pick up a pair for Wildchild, if we saw something nice and not too expensive. Well, it was hard enough finding sandals for the Scientist. We ended up empty-handed for Wildchild. :( All the nice sandals in Wildchild's size are also lots of money. We couldn't even find inexpensive sandals for Wildchild, only flip-flops or espadrilles with big wedge heels and glitter that I think would look more appropriate on a hooker. Aren't girls Wildchild's age supposed to be going out to play and run? How can they run wearing shoes that have to be gripped by their toes, with heels no less? Not only that, but I guess Wildchild is supposed to have completely outgrown an interest in Dora the Explorer, Strawberry Shortcake and even the Disney Princesses, since all the cute character sandals stop at the size below hers. She's only seven years old! Shouldn't she still love fairy tales and dolls and cute childhood friends? In my world, she should, and in our house, she does!

4 comments:

Marie N. said...

Ever listen to Dr. Laura? She minces no words. She describes the girls' clothing available to day as "gangsta" or "sl**" style. Even for 7 year olds.

I love gold shoes, Hope I'm not giving the wrong impression!

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I knew someone would say something about liking those shoes! :) :) They aren't the best example, but they were the best I could find. And while they would work for you, Marie, for a seven-year-old? Totally wrong.

Anonymous said...

I say sandles are for the beach and around the pool, and shoes are for everything else, except for church.

Orycteropus Afer said...

The 5 y/o Grand Vark thoroughly loves his faux Crocs (he wears the PayLess Air Walk knock-offs). They're reasonably durable, have back straps, and are cool, comfy, and totally washable. He has a green pair from Christmas and a new black pair.