Thursday, June 28, 2007

Now Is the Time When We Dance

Maybe we can at last stick a fork in this immigration bill. I find Bush's comments in the article to be annoying. Legal immigration *is* important to me. I'd like anybody to lives and works in this country to come here *legally*. Not sneak in. Get it?

My grandmother, great-aunt and great-grandmother were left behind when my great-grandfather first came to this country in the early 'teens of last century to try to make a better life for his family. I'm not sure if this was because of immigration laws of the time, of my great-grandfather having to prove he could support them before they could come over, or a simple matter of getting the boat fare together. However, World War I intervened when these three family members were still in the old country, and they ended up becoming war refugees in Russia, along with a great-great-grandfather, who died there. My family could have just stowed away on a boat and sneaked into the country, but they didn't, and they suffered a lot in pursuit of their dream. Yes, the living conditions in Mexico are horrible for many. Perhaps Bush should be putting pressure on his big-wig buddies down there to clean up the problems with their government and economy instead of just sending all the poor people they don't want up here. There's no reason why Mexico can't do better as a country.

Another happy thing, I've discovered via Ace of Spades that those good folks at Despair, Inc. have come up with a DIY parody motivator generator, good for laughs in all kinds of situations. In (dis)honor of Voinovich being one of the Senators from Ohio, and having the absolute last vote, probably the cause of his pulling a 180 at the last minute, here's one I lifted from Dave in Texas.

And this one is just too good not to share as well. Done by this guy. Yeah, I could just point you to the appropriate thread at Ace's place, but the last time I sent anyone there, Ace had just unloaded on a bunch of nasty people who were emailing him nasty things, and the person I sent there ended up needing to bleach his brain. So, you know.

And I'm just not feeling clever enough today to come up with my own. Sorry. I enjoyed being a recliner potato and watching the Indians win the series over the A's. And Jason Michaels is one of my favorite players, too!

1 comment:

Scottius Maximus said...

Barb!

I went to the sign-making website. Thanks for the link. Can't wait to try out some signs.