Thursday, April 27, 2006

Modern Life

So, I get these ideas, but I hesitate to share them, because I don't have solid data to back it up. I base my thoughts on observing those around me, and on my reading, which hasn't been prolific for a long time. But I'll throw an idea out here that I've been pondering and see where it goes.

Even though there currently seems to be an increase in the popularity of being a stay-at-home mother, at least while children are young, I'm not sure that we will ever see moms staying at home with children again at the level of, say, a hundred years ago. Now, I would like to see mothers staying at home with their children, and, horror of horrors, maybe even staying home just as wives to maintain the home with no kids around. I don't want to thrash out here all the reasons it is best for moms to be at home, just that why I think many moms still won't do it.

For me, it's all about how people will avoid everything they possibly can. As humans, we take the easy way out, even if the harder route is better. That's a duh moment, really, but I think it is behind so much. Take cooking. Lots of people don't like to cook. I'm not particularly fond of it. If I could ever afford it, I'd hire a cook before I'd hire a maid. Now, my husband is a born cook. He loves to tinker around with recipes and flavors. I've increased my cooking skills because of my husband, which gives me more enjoyment, but I'd probably scarcely do it all if I didn't have to do so. But I do cook because it is healthier and less expensive. With today's options, however, people don't have to cook, so many don't. That is, unless you call warming something up in a microwave, "cooking."

Or take sewing. Did you know that Laura Ingalls Wilder did not like sewing? And neither did Ma? But in those days, unless you could afford a seamstress, you did not have a choice. Ma had a family of six to clothe, and so she had to sew, and she taught her daughters to sew, because they would need to clothe themselves and their own families someday. Some writers, like L. M. Montgomery, decried the sewing machine as impersonal, arguing that clothes were more special when made by hand, that one could imbue the garment with loving thoughts as one made each stitch. Ma, on the other hand, was thrilled with acquiring a sewing machine, because it made the process easier and quicker. She looked at it purely from a practical viewpoint. Today, people don't even need a sewing machine, and of course many people don't know how to sew. Any type of garment today can be purchased, at all price and quality levels.

Just as new advances enabled people to give up household tasks they did not wish to perform, women today can almost completely give up the household. I don't pretend to know all the reasons why women working out of the home became such an approved option, but most of the mothers of today I personally know who are working, do so because they prefer it. Yes, they also enjoy the bigger home, the newer cars, the fancy vacations and so on. But many women just don't seem to want to be at home. I do think many could be happy at home just the same, if they chose to be. That sounds sanctimonious, but I think it's true. I don't believe women of yesteryear always enjoyed every task they had to perform, but at that time, most of them had no choice. If you were going to be happy, you had to decide to do so in spite of circumstances.

But today with so many more options, we women (and men) don't often have to live with things that we don't enjoy. I'm guilty myself, of course, of wanting to avoid unpleasant tasks, and not being content with the incredible gifts I have. I do enjoy staying at home, and it's what I've always wanted. In a world of fallen humans, however, I'm not sure that enough women either want to do it, or will choose to do it.

4 comments:

Marie N. said...

Interesting. I think there is a lot of blurring the lines between wants and needs.

I do not really believe there are very many FT working moms out there who are happy about it, despite what they tell themselves.

Why would they have demanded the Family Leave Act if some instinct in their nature didn't tell them.... I'd better stop here.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Well, I was only talking about moms around me, that I personally know. When I had one mom tell me, "I couldn't stand to be with my kid all day," I believed her....

Lutheran Lucy said...

Although I have a college degree, I LOVE staying home. And I have LOVED home-schooling too. To me, being a stay-at-home mom and teacher is the greatest calling in society. We try to live a simple life and do some things the harder way, but I must admit that we lean towards the easy too, all to save time. Our society is SO busy, busy, busy that we don't have as much time, if there is any time at all, to do things the harder or "old-fashioned" way. I admire you Barb as well as Polly (Favorite Apron - I need to learn how to link on a comment but haven't learned that yet! :))for sewing your own clothes, etc. I would love to do that but can't at this point in my life.

I have also heard mothers complain about not liking being home with their children. I just pray that there will be a God-given solution there so that those relationships change and both mother and child enjoy being together. (We all have our moments with our kids, but I am talking about the ones who consistently complain about spending time with their children. I have to admit that I do wonder why they had kids in the first place though.)
Though there are Christian families intact across the country, there is a great threat to the survival of the family and probably will continue to do so as we reach nearer and nearer to Jesus' return. As we see this more and more, may we be filled with the hope and anticipation of His return and share this wonderful news with those hurting families around us.

Sorry, I got a little wordy. This was an excellent post Barb!! You have such a dear heart!!:)

Genuine Lustre said...

Barb - have you ever visited www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com? It's one of my favorite sites -- that and Lady Lydia's Blog which links from the LAF site. Lots of good reading and encouragement for staying home- for mothers without children too.
I hope I never have to go back to work -- to much to do here! And I have too many hobbies . . . .