Monday, November 26, 2007

Hittin' the Books

I presume most of you took off school for the Thanksgiving festivities last weekend? Husband took off work all last week. Now he's back to work, and I'm trying to get the girls back to school. It's sad how much easier it was to get motivated to throw on clothes and wander down a hotel corridor and down the stairs to the restaurant with an all-you-can-eat breakfast, than it is to get up and make your own breakfast and face a home full of housework and try to motivate your daughters to do something.

In the sewing department, I'm working on pajamas and nightgowns for the girls. I whipped out a pajama top for the Scientist before we left for vacation. It's a knit top, finished at the neck with an interfaced facing. This proved to be a little bit of a challenge, as the neckline stretched as I sewed, but the facing didn't. Today the Scientist is going to help me sew her pajama bottoms, in a comfy soft flannel.

The Scientist had her first horseback riding lesson on Saturday. They didn't actually ride for the first lesson; they groomed the horses and learned about the tack and all that. My poor Scientist groomed a large pony named Bugs, as she is rather petite. Now she can talk about little else, and she claims she's dreaming about Bugs. She can't wait until her next lesson when she'll get to ride. She also wants to be one of the girls who were there who seem to hang out all the time at the stable. I know in ice skating they're called "rink rats." I wonder what the term is for a girl who spends all her time in a stable?

4 comments:

Scott said...

I wonder what the term is for a girl who spends all her time in a stable?

"Free labor."

:-)

Unknown said...

LOL about what Scott said!

How true about the morning motivation. It's always hard to get back into the swing of things after a holiday, and with Christmas coming so quick, these three weeks are extremely hard. I feel for you because I'm in the same boat.

I've never thought about making my own PJs! I always want new ones but never spend the money. I've always sewn home decor stuff like curtains, but am not confident enough for clothes. But I could do PJs because if they didn't look perfect, so what? :-) Thanks for the idea!

I saw on HGTV last night that a new gift craze is personalized coffee sleeves...you know, like the ones at Starbucks? Only those are made of cardboard and these were made of cute fabric. What a fun, cheap, easy gift to make.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Miss Sniz, I bet pajamas out of knit fabric would be easy if you've already sewn curtains.

Since the Scientist wants to be a vet, I think spending all her free time in a stable might fall under the heading of "internship." A free internship, but still....

Jane said...

I want to make a nightgown for myself. But I still have the apron fabric that I bought this summer.... I'm so bad on follow-through!

I am considering making a tea cozy for my friend for Christmas. She was saying that she would like to have one, but those that I saw in the store were $25 & $30!