Monday, November 20, 2006

Meaning

DH is now on prescription meds and may or may not have a bacterial infection. We'll know in a few days. After a couple of rough nights, Wildchild is doing better. I am feeling better, although it will probably take me a couple of days to get back to full strength physically. The only one who escaped relatively unscathed is the Scientist. And since we stocked up on children's pain medicine and cough and cold medicine, we're pretty much guaranteed the girls won't get sick anymore this winter.

What do you all feel about Thanksgiving? I'm feeling a few guilty twinges this year because I am usually just not enthused about Thanksgiving. I know that it is good to give thanks to God who has given us our lives and everything we have. But I am thankful often for many of my blessings, such as my husband, my children, my home, my cats. Thanksgiving is not really much more than "Turkey Day" and my brother-in-law yelling at the football game to me. Maybe it's the idea of being told, "Today you *must* be thankful for *everything*" that just makes me say "meh."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my baby J10 (nearly eleven) was born on thanksgiving... but we don't celebrate it here...
glad to hear you've fought off the bugs

Anonymous said...

well, we celebrate his birthday...
not thanksgiving lol

Presbytera said...

Glad that your family is getting healthy again. Hope your dh continues to improve.

I enjoy the meal and family getting together at Thanksgiving but I don't need a government proclamation to be thankful. I begin each day with "I thank You my Heavenly Father" and I close each day with the same words of Luther. It does seem a bit contrived to have a day of thanksgiving and yet being pc we can't mention to whom we are thankful.

~Kathy~ said...

Glad your hubby has gotten some meds and hopefully will be on the road to recovery now. We are the same way here, if we stock up on OTC meds, we don't get sick.
I agree with you about Thanksgiving too. It doesn't help that my family is a complete farce when they get together. It's always been that way. They're mad at us this year because we can't take the time away from dh's job and spend the money to drive down and celebrate with them. Oh well, our little family will make a grand day of it!

Marie N. said...

I agree, Thanksgiving takes place every day. But having a day off helps with (extended) family togetherness, a break from routine, a chance to relax.

Try having something other than turkey, or try some period recipes perhaps?