Thursday, January 11, 2007

Turning Back Time

Anybody want to go in with me on buying this beautiful property? I know my husband has always wanted to live in a home with a secret passage, or even passages! I think it would be absolutely fascinating to live there. On top of the fact that it is a gorgeous old castle with lots of history, although its ties to Vlad are questionable, it is very near to where my ancestors lived for what was probably hundreds of years. Of course, I read on this site that Brasov, the city nearest Bran Castle, had its inhabitants of Germanic (like mine) and Jewish ancestry largely driven out. But the city of Mediasch would be fairly near by, and I know that this is where my grandfather's people came from.

I know that my ancestors did the right thing in fleeing the Old World. Since I am only a third-, or in some cases second-generation American, I know very well that the conditions my great-grandparents and grandparents left behind were harsh, with little room for improvement. Still, I feel a little ache of what could almost be described as loneliness, looking at pictures of a city where people of my flesh and blood once lived. Where did they live when they were there? What exactly were their lives like? Strange to think that if all those people had not come from places as far apart as Eastern Europe and Ireland, that I would not exist today!

1 comment:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

I shudder to think of the property taxes on that thing. :)