Sunday, May 21, 2006

Looking Forward to a Better Home

I was running on auto-pilot for the last four days, but I think it is just because I was tired. My husband has to be in to work earlier, and I had to drive him every day, so I had to get up earlier too. It was just harder adjusting to a different schedule, I think. I am feeling better today, and ready to face a new week. I have a lot to do! I am frustrated with myself because I haven't been getting as much sewing done as I wanted. But I've made progress in other areas, so it's not all bad.

This story really angers me. Those Mexicans have a lot of chutzpah, don't they? I'm wondering how much longer our government will keep being patient with Mexico. I really can't see how it's just about cheap labor; I keep thinking there must be something else behind it. In the meantime, I guess the best our family can do is not buy products made in Mexico, just like we already try to avoid products made in China. Oh, and we can mow our own lawn. BA-DUM-BUM.

It's good to know that God is sovereign, because there are so many things that could affect my family, and so little I can do about many of them. Thinking about it though, we do have a lot more freedom than other countries to prepare ourselves for the future, whatever it may hold. For one thing, my husband was able to get an education in the field he wanted, I was able to get an education, and we are able now to educate our own children. We need to pray for wisdom to make the right decisions now, and train our children to be good citizens of this country, and most importantly let them be nurtured through God's word towards being citizens in heaven.

3 comments:

Lutheran Lucy said...

Hi Barb! This is a great post! Yes, there are many things to be upset about in our country (decline of morals, etc.); however, you are right about being thankful for our freedom! At least we still have our freedom of speech (though it is being taken away little by little) and freedom of religion. I won't even mention the press because they have gone out of control.

Yes, we need to teach our children to be God-honoring and respectful citizens and to always bear witness to the truth so others will have the opportunity to learn about Christ and receive their citizenship in heaven as well. We have a lot to be thankful to God for!!

chris j pluger said...

Hi Barb!

Actually, it seems to me that one of the best things you can do is try to by products made in Mexico (by Mexican companies). The main reason, imho, for the "immigration problem" from Mexico is the sad state of the Mexican economy. One of the best things we can do as concerned Christian neighbors is help them out -- not with charitable handouts, but with real tangible economic aid (i.e., our hard-earned dollars for their hard honest work).

Just a thought. Enjoyed your posts!

Chris

-- p.s. found you through the Aardvark.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Well, Chris, I do see your point, but it's my understanding that the Mexican government is corrupt, favoring only those of a certain ancestry, for example. If the government is corrupt, I don't think supporting the economy of a corrupt government is the answer. How do you see the Mexican government?