Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Is This Wrong?

The Evil Genius is grumbling to herself. She hasn't been feeling well all day, but it's evening and she's perked up some. However, the Scientist doesn't have a clean shirt for tomorrow, and we have to go out bright and early tomorrow morning because the Scientist has Latin class, taught by one of our pastors. But the Evil Genius really doesn't feel like doing laundry. Then, she has a brilliant idea. She has lots of nice new knit fabric, as the Scientist needs new shirts anyway. So instead of doing laundry, the Evil Genius just goes to her sewing machine and makes a new shirt, thus forgoing laundry for another day. Woo hoo!

By the way, my husband went grocery shopping, cooked dinner, served it to me in bed, took out the garbage and helped the Scientist study her Latin this evening. So all you whiny feministas can just head right back outta here!

While I'm making confessions, I might as well confess that my husband is much better at teaching the Scientist in some subjects than I am. They think alike in a lot of ways, whereas I can just get really frustrated and not know how to get through to her. But my husband works full time, whereas I am at home all day. At least in some subjects, I really wish I could have outside help. But then I don't know that a lot of the schools around here would do a better job. I know our local public schools wouldn't, certainly. Nothing to do but keep moving ahead, and look for options.

2 comments:

Marie N. said...

Don't despair about needing help in some subjects. From what I hear it is in the higher grades that homeschooled childred really excell and eclipse their public school peers. A very stripped down summary would be -- you are teaching them how to learn now, and when they get to doing more school work on their own they really take off.

If you think a particular area is not up to par, maybe a different curriculum of resource could help, FWIW

Lutheran Lucy said...

Barb, another suggestion would be to seek out a co-op group within your home-schooling community. Do you have any resources like that? I will pray for you about that!

Marie N. makes a great point. Also, when I get discouraged, I get reminded that teaching them to live a life of committment to Jesus Christ no matter what is the most important thing! Just take it one day at a time with His help (I'm sure you do anyway.), and He will guide you! It will all work out - this is a normal emotion of home-schooling moms.