Thursday, August 11, 2011

Nostalgia For What Wasn't

I am going through some of our homeschooling books that didn't get a lot of use, so I can sell them. I remember all the plans I made and looking forward to using the books with the girls. I am sorry that my plans never really worked out. Oh, the girls did learn somehow, since they were able to transition into public school. But most of the plans I had didn't work out. The girls and I did have some nostalgic moments, however, going through some of their old work, especially the art work. Which is funny in a way because they don't do much creative art work on their own, but they did seem to enjoy what was assigned to them. So I'm thankful for what we did have, but still feeling a bit of nostalgia for what never was.

5 comments:

TK said...

Take heart. They have a whole lifetime to learn those things. My guess is that they learned what was needed and had an enjoyable time. Also, a good Lutheran pastor once talked about how nostalgia, nice as it may be, is actually a lie that tries to pull us from God. Made me think!

Barb the Evil Genius said...

That's a good thought. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Then I'm in big trouble! :)

J.S.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Well, I think we all are, J.S. :) Maybe we can remember the blessings of the past while not constantly wishing that things were different then? Interestingly, this fits in to my wondering about how the will of God works. Was it God's will that the bad things happened? That the good things happened? If it was, then my speculation is pointless and indeed will pull me away from trusting Him.

Anonymous said...

I think way too much :)

J.